Jarrahmond is a farming district north of Orbost in Far East Gippsland with no community hub such as a school or hall. The Jarrahmond Landcare group attempts to address this by creating projects designed to engage the whole community. Recently, the Landcare Group has collaborated with other local organisations and ran a successful event that attracted around 100 people to celebrate the districts historical connections.
Firstly, some background information: the Jarrahmond State School 1914-1919 Honor Roll was originally housed in the local school that was closed in1949. The school building was moved to Brodribb, and then to Orbost in 1968, and currently, the Honor Roll is housed at the Orbost RSL. The Jarrahmond Avenue of Honor was planted by local families after World War 11 with English oaks interspersed with flowering cherries and peaches. In April 2002 the Orbost RSL Sub-Branch installed a WW11 memorial and commemorative plaque at the eastern end of the Avenue of Honor.
With the Centenary of WW1 the Landcare Group recognised an opportunity, and a way to ensure that the soldiers on the WW1 Honor Roll would not be forgotten. The Landcare Group formed partnerships with the RSL, historical society and Anglican Church and did extensive research on the 35 names on the 1914-1919 Honor Roll. Descendants were contacted and invited to attend the community event to unveil and dedicate two new plaques with the names of the 33 soldiers and 2 nurses from WW1. The new plaques were erected alongside the WW11 memorial at the end of the Jarrahmond Avenue of Honor. New trees were planted to replace the original blossom trees that had been lost. The community event was a great success and third generation landholder, Mr Greg Trewin summed up the project saying, “We enjoyed ourselves and gained much more than we anticipated.”
For more information on this event, please contact Penny Gray at Far East Victoria Landcare.
The Landcare Share Centre is grassroots Landcare supporting grassroots Landcare
The Share Centre is a service provided by Landcare Victoria Incorporated (LVI)